Friday, February 19, 2010

Give A Day, Get A Day!!

Today, my family participated in the Disney Give A Day, Get A Day program.  Originally we were supposed to drive to Florida and volunteer there tomorrow with my parents, niece and nephew.  Fortunately, we were able to keep checking the Disney site and found something in our area that we could all do.  Except Maeve.  She's too young.  Finding something that the other kids could do was not easy.  Most opportunities wanted you to be at least 16.  However, we got lucky and found something for today that we could all do!  It was indoors, only for 2 hours AND we didn't have to drive to another state!   We went to a community center where clothing, etc. is donated.  Out job was to sort through bags of clothes, discard anything that we wouldn't let our kids or mother be caught dead in, or was stained beyond repair, and hang up the rest.  We also had to pair up shoes.  Nothing too difficult.  This is the building we spent our morning in.  It's also a transitional house for women who are needing a place to stay for no more than 2 years.


Aidan and Aislinn sorting clothes.


Don't you love the look on Aidan's face?  I think they were a little grossed out by the condition of some of the clothes.  Who could blame them?  I mean, really.  People WASH your clothes before donating them!  If you wouldn't wear it, what makes you think someone else wants to?  Poor Aislinn picked up a piece of clothes that had slime on it!  GROSS!  And donating your used underwear?  YUK.  I try to only donate clothes that either don't fit, or are not my taste any longer.  And underwear, it just gets tossed.  Maybe that makes me a snob.  Whatever.  On the other hand, some of the things that come in - holy moly!  Brand new $50 jeans with the tags still on them, Nine West boots with nary a scuff mark?  Hello!!  I might just go back on Monday, when the store is open to the public and grab those babies.  Everything is only 50 cents, too.


The 2 hours passed in what seemed like the blink of an eye.   Now, we just print out our vouchers for Disney and that's it!  Easy Peasy.




3 comments:

Life as we are living it said...

What an expierence! Good or bad you taught your kid how to work for something.(and not to give away dirty underwear)haha!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comments about my trees and boots! :)

If you try the project, let me know how it goes, I'll post a link to you!

-Ann Marie

Kim's Treasures said...

I love this Disney promotion and Disney!!! Glad you were able to participate!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and for becoming a follower! Hope you enjoy my blog! I'm off to become a follower of yours now!

Kim

 
Find More Free Layouts at April Showers