Thursday, October 16, 2008

School Days and More

Yesterday I had a conference with my one of my daughter's teachers. I've never met her and wanted to see how Aislinn was doing. I am happy to say that all went well. Report cards come out tomorrow. If she is telling me the truth, she will have all A's and 1 B. My son, however, isn't saying a word. I'm sure he will do just fine. Last year they were both in a private school. I would have liked to have kept them there, but the tuition spiked way up. That and the gas hike wasn't going to cut it this year. The public school seems to be working out. My youngest son went there last year and liked it. I also had good experiences with the teachers and administration. Plus the school is only 3 miles away. So, it's like getting a pay increase this year!

Declan had his birthday party this past Saturday at the karate studio. He liked it and wants to have it there next year, too! Even though the kids from his class at school didn't come (or even RSVP, but that's another story and a HUGE pet peeve of mine), we had not only a good number of kids come, but the right mix of kids. No one got hurt and they all had a great attitude. I hope they all had fun. I know at least one did, his mom booked his party right then and there.

Today I made a cake. Yup, I baked. Betty Crocker I am not, but every now and then I manage to come up with something worth sharing. Anyhow it's called Butterscotch Swirl Cake. My kids were all excited and couldn't wait to dig in. The problem: my husband asked me to make it so he can take it to work tomorrow. Oops. Looks like next time I have to make 2 so my kids can have some. I first made it for Father's Day and it was so good, my son requested it for his birthday! Want the recipe...

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 teaspoons rum extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
1 package (3.4 oz.) instant butterscotch pudding mix
3/4 cup butterscotch ice cream topping

GLAZE:
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)

In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 5 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
Transfer 2 cups of batter to another large mixing bowl; beat in the pudding mix, butterscotch topping and remaining egg until well blended.Pour half of the plain better into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of the butterscotch batter; cut through with a knife to swirl. Repeat layers and swirl.
Bake at 350 for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and mil. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Drizzle over cake, sprinkle with pecans.
Yield: 12 servings YUMM-O!!!

No comments:

 
Find More Free Layouts at April Showers